Tuesday, February 7, 2017

What are you even barking at? There's nothing there... right?


What are you even barking at? There's nothing there... right?

Tomorrow I go in. I walk through that door with papers in hand.
 I get hassled by security, dogs, drones, media bots. Immediately!

Yes, I have my implant.
No, no one approached me to carry items into the building.
Private second class, Alfred  T. Straighter III.
Yes, my boots have steel toes.
Why?
Well, I have to make a living, right? ohhh. you don't know what I mean.
Apologies.
Of course. I'll take them off.
No. No hydraulics. No enhancers. No positronic on my skeletal.
Why don't I have anything in my pockets?
Because I'm used to this.
Used to what? This I suppose. I know i'm being searched, so I carry very little.
May I continue, please?
No. I am not an enemy of the state. I have never been charged as such.
Yes, I'll submit to further search. I have nothing to hide.
Yes. I have two carbon fiber knee replacements, both hips redone in mono carbon, three pins in my right shoulder, and six mono filament pins. Four in my right hand, one in my left.
Ahh!Your math is good. The sixth is in my second vertebrae.
Yes. I was in the uprising. I do have my papers in order.
I was demoted to private, second class, prime cycle 5280. I surrendered at Camp Hale Colorado the following year.
Yes. I accept the outcome of the sixty second election and am a productive member of the labor sect. Faction 1.5 from the oligarchy secondary command, planet Terra cycle 74.
I am traveling to intra_-staion Terra 1.56.
From there to Luna colony 1.5, wait a cycle, jump  to cycle 2140 to mars station 6.
I have my labor permit in hand, sir. I'm a returner.
Yes, a returner.
 I'm a miner, have been for cycles.My family has been for cycles before. We keep a little plot on terea. Family thing. Bi centennial and such.

At this point, I am either cleared or in a nuerostasis station.
Damn it! They'll let me pass or they won't. I don't want to simulate again. I'll get there.
I promise.
Sir... yes Sir, Captain Sir.
I didn't mean any disrespect.
These simulations are just so tiresome.

Private first class. You are too opinionated. When they ask to search you, you don't ask why and say you are used to it! You got a mouth on you son, it's gonna get you in a heap of station 1.0 disposal you can't get out of! We are trying to infiltrate the brigade itself here son! You need to remember, you're Alfred T Straighter of the Mars 6 miners. You were born to the Prefect over all mars operations. and you.. well quite frankly You're acting as if you're John Q Public from counter measure 7.
 I'm a traitor to the cause! Here I am! Zat the cuffs on me and particle slide a confession straight out of me! I'll tell you everything! Just make it stop!
It is of utmost importance that you get to the Luna colony to make the jump this cycle.
If you fail.
All is lost.

I am Alfred T. Straighter III, sir. Everyone is always counting on me.
They weren't in my shoes during the uprising. They don't have to live with the things I've done. They work tirelessly to destroy what I worked for. I will pass. I am a descendant of the Mars miners. I can pass for these people. Just got to remember to slur the rrrr hard and omit the eee. Yes srrrrr admiral. It isss don!
I know my dialect interpretation is over the top, sir. Just blowing off some steam.
If they detect the explosive devices, I detonate and everybody wins!

Well... everyone but me and a few nameless. Wouldn't be the best exit, but it wouldn't be the worst.

Private second class Alfred T Straighter III, reporting for duty sir. 


I remember the explorer bursting into flames from the pixelated roll out analogue television in my grade school auditorium. It had rabbit ears! I remember thinking at first. Oh. They'll be ok, as the shuttle trailed off to the left ever so slightly.
Oh Shit!
I actually thought those words at ten years of age.
Nope. Not okay.
Load em' up again.
They're gone.
I actually stood up and saluted their ashes as they pummeled to the earth.
I thought at that moment, one day I will die that way. How grand and noble.

Tonight I ask all the angels that have sat on my shoulder, All of those that have gone in the past,
to mind thier own fraking business.

2 comments:

Helskel said...

You ran with it! We can keep free basing the details, the mood, the lingo. Can maybe come up with a timeline. Maybe devise a plot. Triple hmmmmmmm.

Unknown said...

I figured we can just free style the details, those can be buttoned up and made all tidy at a later date. I Love this world you have created. Let's fill in the blanks. This specific narrative idea is a Heinleinian, good guy?, who knows ever really, terrorist plot to topple the powers that be or destroy the cycle system or fuck with bees or some shit. We should, i.e. you, should lay done some of the universes main points. The government, the cycles, the extent and distance traveled away from earth, all that jazz. From there plot is dotting the i's crossing the t's mostly writing itself and timeline can be of our choosing. There could be many intertwining stories from different pov's within the system.
Idk, running with it. seems like we have something here.
fun stuff!