Thursday, February 2, 2017

It’s all an effect

It’s all an effect, after the fact. It’s all feckless, affected, faking brass tacks. Forever eternity, briefly brashly, momentary tourney. Flew, flu, flock, fleet, frown, full frontal. Punctuate, pontificate, point, pointer, poke, perceive, precept, perky, pet, pugilist. List, lore, lame, loose, luck. Do you follow? Ink. Pigment. Permanent signification. The mark, the maze, the ashes after the blaze. I’ll follow you down. I’ll hold you steady, sideways, tangential, a line upon the circle cycle. I’ll spear the wheel. I’ll speak the heal. I’ll dig in my spurs to push you over the hedge.

I like turtles.

There is a gate at the end of the hedgerow. You spy down the leafy tunnel each day on your walk home from school. The hedges stretch 9 feet high, blotting out whatever lies behind the sidewalk. Hiding whole lot. The house, the yard, everything. If there even is a house. Something you’ve never figured out. In the middle of the lot border, there is a path from sidewalk to a gate. Maybe at some point it could have been considered a proper path of concrete or stone. But now it’s well covered in dirt and hedge debris from years, decades even, of neglect.  You and your friends joke about what’s down the path, past the gate. You make silly dares. But no one even thinks to go down the path. But one day, you’re walking home alone, and you hear the slightest tinkling of a bell beyond the towering hedge. Is it a cat perhaps? Or some other pet having lost its way into the spooky yard? Is it whining? A soft scratching sound like paws scraping into soil, trying to dig its way out maybe? You feel compelled to help. The poor thing sounds scared in there. You stand there at the mouth of the path. The breeze picks up slightly, causing the thick hedge branches to sway and creak against itself. The path is darker than the rest of the world. Its dimness looks like peering down one’s on throat in the mirror. The animal whines again. It senses you have stopped. That it may have a rescuer. You make the decision, and with a tightening of the straps on your backpack, step into the gap in the hedges. You step forwards slowly, feet shuffling through the long aged layer of leaves. The animal definitely knows now you are there, that you are coming in for it. The whining grows louder, and also the pitch slightly deeper. You keep plodding forward. The path seems so much longer as your proceed. You see the gate ahead. It looms like a web of rusted metal. The path yet stretches before. Can there actually a house on the lot? You have walked so far already, clean through to the alley. Yet the path goes on. The leaves crunch beneath your feet, the hedge to either side seeming to grow higher with each step you take. And the animal… the animal has stopped whining. Now you can hear it pant. A rhythmic breathing, wheezing, sliding into a faint cadence of laughter. And it no longer sounds small, or little, or young, or frightened. This has gotten way too weird. You stop. You look back, but there is no sidewalk behind you, no street. You see only the hedge lined path stretching back forever, converging in a vanishing point of branches and dark. The sound of the animal grows closer, closer. You hear whatever it is pushing into the hedge from inside the lot, pushing towards you. You are frozen in fear, you cannot move. A large pale hand is thrust out of the hedge towards you. It grabs your arm, and suddenly you hear, “DON’T WORRY KID, IT’S JUST ME, BOOOOO RADLEY!”
Weeeee. Ok, suck. Moving on.

I have a book I’ve had for years. Named, Plotto. The Master Book of All Plots, by William Wallace Cook.



It’s crazy town. I bought it wondering if it would help me come up with plots. But it hasn’t, and I’m sure I don’t need it. The real question is what story should be told. I don’t know if I could successfully use the Bradbury method of “Follow the story where it leads you”.  Maybe I could, if I was patient enough with myself. I wonder more if I would fare better with a complete outline, and fully detailed diagram, equation, diagram, of which I just flesh out the details. Would that be too… mechanical? Contrite? Would it reek of predestination, without passions or authenticity? Maybe. These are the questions for this forum. Again, I apologize for boring you with my inner dialogue. Stop reading now. Roland finds just what he seeks in the top floor of the Dark Tower. Read no further if you want that to be true.

Picture added to round up to 1K.


2 comments:

mosaica said...

I wrote half a book just letting it unspool as it filtered through to my fingers. Re-read it. Re-read it three more times and deleted all of it. I've written another half of a book, carefully plotted and outlined. On my last re-read, I had just about decided to delete it all again. After much chewing and digesting and mellowing, a new story (maybe the true story?) has begun to unfold in my head. And the only question that remains, is, whether I have the courage to write them damn thing.

Unknown said...

You had me enthralled. I felt like that story was going somewhere other worldly at any second. I felt as if I had been at the end of that long row of hedge. I certainly think you could have followed that story wherever it may have led and I would have gone down the rabbit hole with you. Maybe all these questions are best answered through trial and error. This would be the venue to explore those things. I'd like to see both styles, open follow the story narrative and outlined and structured, from you in some kind of multiple part short stories.